Sunday, April 12, 2009


>>04/13
One's trash is another's treasure. 
As I have oddly been finding myself saying lately, I fully approve of this statement. One of my favorite experiences is exploring a thrift store, garage sale, or my grandmother's closet and finding something completely bizarre or old fashioned an outdated to sport proudly on the trendy streets which I roam (oh, how I attempt to make my life appear so exciting in my explorations). I enjoy giving my clothes to consignment as much as I love to find another's on
 a discount rack. For some reason, I have always had no trouble giving up the tangible, especially clothes, jewelry, or some wearable object. In my opinion, clothes have feelings too and to leave them hanging in a closet for a year simply because you can't find the "right time" or "perfect outfit" or whatever to go along with them just leaves them sure for abandonment. I would much rather donate them or do a clothing swap to a person who may wear it consistently, giving it the love and attention it deserves. Similarly, I enjoy gaining a new item that I know belonged to someone else. Not because I'm dirty (I was it of course), but because I feel as though I'm wearing something that tells a story. What is the vintage dress I'm wearing to prom was worn to prom by a woman who is now 85 years old, gray and slowly fading, but enjoying life just as much as she did when she was wearing that dress to her big night. Prom may not be as big of deal now as getting drunk before the actual event, but sometimes I dance around in my dress and think, "she must have been beautiful. I hope that she enjoyed her night as much as I'm going to wearing something so special." Clothes may be objects, but since us consumers are such victims of materialism anyway, we may as well give them some meaning and make them worth every penny. Who knows, someone else may be wearing your favorite skirt in a year or two. You wouldn't want them to leave it hanging in a closet, now, would you? 

Totally. Into. Isaac. 
With an outfit like this, how can one not be tempted to explore Isaac Mizrahi's new collections? 
This season brings some brights, bolds, and beautifuls to the table and magically combines the beauty of all of our favorite trends of the decades. Cropped pants don't always work, but when paired with a long coat, some killer heels, and colors that make sunshine and periwinkle seem to be a subdued description. These new pieces are not only getting me excited for the season, but are getting me extensively enthusiastic about his upcoming show, which I am lucky enough to be helping out at. Saks Fifth Avenue will be featuring his new collection, as I will observe, googly-eyed like a little girl in a candy store (or a grown woman in a fabulous shoe store). I'm hoping to gain some connections, acquire some goodies, but most of all some inspiration. What mostly draws me to Mizrahi's clothing is his ability to connect such opposite-ends-of-the-spectrum pieces to create such a cohesive look. It is not always successful when one pairs banana yellow with an elegant, soft pink, but this man (myth, and legend) has found a way to make the impossible so possible that it looks easy. 
Cropped creations, popping prints, and daring for the trendy trailblazers...
escape with Isaac to a fashionable frenzy. 

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new." 
-Henry David Thoreau

I bid goodnight to any readers, the stars and the moon and will soon be welcoming the sun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment