Saturday, April 4, 2009

>>4/04
Tell me what you want, tell me what you need. 
The mishmash of the past few weeks of being at school have confirmed my absolute adoration of the city of Philadelphia. I guess growing up with NYC by your side, you become accustomed to the city's style and atmosphere. Not only do the streets appear different 
physically, but they also feel different. I can honestly say that there is a distinction even between the smells. 
First Friday brought me into my element. Apparently, its birth was only about ten years ago and now contains the collaborative efforts of many galleries between second and third and market and vine streets. The galleries were iNCREDiBLE. I have secretly- well I guess it's not a secret anymore- always had a dream of opening my own gallery- having both clothes and artwork lining the walls and shelves. Advertising the work or local thriving artists and even doing collaborations with them in my own clothing as a way to help them step out. I guess the things that I've wanted for myself may not be what others are looking for, but the idea sounds like something that would be rewarding for and a huge opportunity for anyone else. I stumbled upon some of the cutest boutiques in between the galleries, most of them luring me in with their vibrant colors and catchy names on lit-up signs. If you're interested in window shopping (or some risky shopping excursion in the near future) one shop that was too adorable to walk past was Smak Parlour (219 Market). For any girl who loves frills and funk, edge and spunk (sorry for the constant rhyming phrases) this is definitely a store check out. 
AGYNESSmadness.
I've always had a super girl crush one Agyness Deyn. The day that I bumped into her at Beacon's Closet in Williamsburg and was greeted by her cute accent accompanied by her grunge-chic attire I was so intrigued. The excitement of being a model has become more known to me since I've done silly little jobs for some of the seniors and been able to help out with FIA. I can imagine the downfalls as well, but being able to dress up like a little girl in mommy's closet, putting on lots of make-up, letting it be okay to wear a ridiculous up-do without going to prom, and best of all- showing off something that someone has created through a competitive, hard-working, and intense process (PS: I can't wait to do that). 
So, back to Agyness- her style is not only original, but in my mind, brings out her inner child. I think that every person should be allowed to express their inner child through their clothing. Yes, there is a time and place for sophistication, but lacking in the imagination area can make for a boring and redundant lifestyle. As much as we would like to say that what we wear doesn't make us, it can truly influence our moods, and sometimes other's moods equivalently. I know when I see a person wearing something vibrant I feel just as bright; when I see someone wearing something dark and dreary I feel a wave of darkness. It may sound absurd, but since color and feelings are interconnected it would only make sense that what we wear would directly influence the way we feel, eh? 

I think I'll go buy a throwaway camera today and take some pictures. 
Maybe I'll capture some beautiful people or birds outside my window. 

"It was so simple, it was so simple, it was so simple, uh oh oh oh. Oh, to be with you." 
-Tilly and the Wall.

And on that note, ITS CLOSING TIME. 

1 comment:

  1. first friday was sooo much fun.
    did you ever buy the disposable camera? i dont think you did, little missy. i think its a fabulous idea though.

    Kelly <3

    ReplyDelete